Saturday, April 22, 2017

Tablet case

This year at school they gave us tablets in addition to our new laptops. However, they failed to give us a case for it 😒. It has been sitting in my bag (I honestly haven't used it much), and I'm afraid I'll end up scratching it. Then I'd have to pay for it...no bueno. So, I decided to make a case since I can sew and all 😃.

This is what I came up with for one side.Purple is generally not my go-to color (unless we're talking about LSU-themed stuff), but our school colors are purple and white so I went with that. I'm currently obsessed with grey (which is totally new for me), and I love this Kona Cotton Steel color! I used scraps for the purple and then of course I love to set stuff off with white. It makes it look crisp!


I was going to do straight line quilting like the wine snuggie, but at the last minute I decided to just do my go-to my organic wavy lines. I used white Aurifil 50w thread and then went back it and did lines in Aurifil grey (#2605) between the white lines.



I really like how the grey looks a bit invisible in some parts. I wasn't sure if I gone a little overboard on the quilting because I was afraid you couldn't see the purple enough. Then I put it on the design wall and stepped back...and it looked fine.

After much indecisiveness, I went with polka-dots on the back. I used my sizzix dies on fabric that I had backed with Heat n' bond lite. I really prefer the ultra hold version of the Heat n' bond over the lite but I am out of it. I did the same quilting pattern as the other side, except some areas look a little weird since I was purposely trying to quilt into the circles to secure them The quilting on the other side definitely looks better! And I realized I should have increased my stitch length...but oh well!


I reaffirmed my feelings about the Heat n' Bond lite when I noticed that some of the edges of the circles that had not been quilted over were sticking up...even when I went back and ironed over them again. Grrrr. I will probably drive me a little crazy and may have to whip out some fabric glue later. Oh well...

So here it all is put together:




Again, for winging a pattern, I'm pretty happy about the way it came out! This was also my first time ever to sew a zipper that wraps around the corner. It really wasn't that bad at all! To help, I used the Creative Grids Curved Corner Ruler which is amazeballs! I estimated how wide I needed the case and then cut the corners at a 2" radius.


My tablet fits perfectly! I did a ton of quilting and used a really low loft batting so it's not super cushy, but it will keep it from getting scratched (which was my main goal!).


I'm pretty jazzed about this project. I may even make another for my coworker.

Until later, happy sewing!
Jamie


I'm linking up!
   Sew Fresh Quilts

No comments:

Post a Comment